Tengumai: Junmai Nama Genshu


The Tengumai brand has become synonymous with words like gamy and wild. What that means in laymen's terms is nihonshu that's tangy and bold flavored. How it gets that way has a lot to do with how bacteria is used during the sake-making process called Yamahai(Shikomi). Just know this, sake made this way is the most traditional, and there is only a hand full of brewers who master the technique.

The classification this sake falls under is called Junmai/premium ( no alcohol added. Just water and koji). Nama( unpasteurized) Genshu (undiluted). The seimaibuai is 60%, which is how much rice is left after milling.


The brewer is called Shata Brewery and they have consistently received gold awards in National Sake Competitions in Japan. The significants for me choosing this sake for tonight's posts is because #1 this particular version of the sake I am drinking tonight is *only* available in Japan. #2 because I'm home and all the hot springs in my area are closed due to the quake! #3 mother is home with her real kids. #4 All the young girls are brain dead and sake-retarded. #5 Ichibay is scared to hang out with me. #6 I can't access Sendai to help out. OK. So, I'll educate the world about one of the things I like to indulge myself in. Sake ( ask - ay).

The nice thing about living in Japan is that you have so many opportunities to try real genshu and nama type sake. My blog is full of sake-related posts about nama(s), and genshu(s), and Junmai(s). If you stick around long enough you'll gain a lot of knowledge in famous brands that enjoyed both here in Japan and in the U.S. I am by no means a sake master, more like a sake drinker and I've been at it for a long time.

Enjoy




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts