Good Tripe in Japan




The name of the place is called Nagai in Shibukawa, Gunma Prefecture.



No, I don't mean the kind of cheap coffee table house tripe associated with pseudo-intellectuals who talk about utter nonsense at the dinner table. I'm posting about tripe or offal; the first and second divisions of the stomach of an oxen, sheep, or goat, used as food. Basically the internal organs of a land animal.



There are some Americans who can appreciate this dish. Yes, for me, it was an acquired taste. I still haven't gotten used to the awful smell of it yet, but like with everything, you should try it at least once. I know of some French who also love offal and rarely have a chance to try delicious Japanese style offal. Not the stuff you find in back alley izekayas at yakiniku joints, but real places in the countryside.



Nagai, is perhaps the most famous offal shop in all of the Kanto. They even have their own theme song that's played on local radio. A lot of truckers stop through here, so word of its delicious offerings spread very quickly.

In the photo I was on my way back to Yokohama from Niigata with a sake buddy. We decided to detour a little to stop through here. What a treat!







Comments

Popular Posts