Dekopon

I haven't blogged much about food lately, so today I thought to myself “ food hasn’t been mentioned enough on by blog”. And then a fruit introduced to me by a Jukujo came to mind, called Dekopon.

dekopon

I was introduced to this fruit over lunch, and was so impressed, stopped over at Seijo Ishii to grab a couple. They cost me 590 yen for a pack of two fully ripened dekopon. A bit pricey!

As soon as I got home I dug threw my drawer in search of a pairing knife. Don’t actually need one. The skin peels right off within seconds. Everything I have always wanted in an orange was found in this citrus fruit in the first couple of bites. Light acid, sweet, juicy and most of all seedless! What more can you ask for in an orange…?

I remember a quote from a poem by WCW that goes something like this:

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast.

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold.


William Carlos Williams





The first time I tried a dekopon I must’ve eaten all of them without even leaving one for my friend to enjoy. She was pretty livid. All I could say was “ forgive me….. they were delicious so sweet and so cold.” It didn’t work….this time I had to buy my own.





Another reason I like this fruit is because its grown in Japan, and is a pure Japanese creation. A hybrid from two other oranges came the dekopon. I don’t think I’ll ever eat a normal looking orange again. Florida orange, what?

Comments

  1. Seedless, peels easily and citrus? I'm sold. :) I wonder if they import them to Oz...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts