Back In Minato Mirai, Yokohama, Japan




minato mirai2, originally uploaded by Tony Alexander.

After returning to this city after a short vacation I am reminded of the little things I do like most about this city, like 24-hour convenience stores and ATMs. Minato Mirai is located in a city called Yokohama, which was the first major port opened by the West, in Japan and is considered one of the most modern cities in the world. It is also the birthplace of tennis in Japan as well, along with having the Landmark Tower which boasts having the fastest elevators in the world.

Minato Mirai city was made for couples and people who just want to take nice long night walks along the promenade while taking in the surrounding beautiful night views. You see, it's a safe city. You never have to worry about getting mugged or held up, or anything like that. Women can walk home safely without fear of being accosted by some stranger. Even the homeless are nice and well mannered as they never beg nor ask for money! It's like a dream city with all the modern conveniences of an Isaac Asmovian type city.

From the picture below you can see another night view taken from a place called Osanbashi Pier which is a real hot spot for couples at night. From this pier one can capture a full 360 degree view of the Port of Yokohama, which in my opinion is priceless.

Shooting pictures from here at night is a photographers heaven. I recommend coming in September or late Autumn. Perfect.

I also recommend the nightly dinner cruises where you can toast the night away while enjoying the harbor views and beyond even to Tokyo if you choose.

There are also many observatory decks around this area, too. People enjoy walking their dogs, and even cats - on leashes.
I have seen everything here.


I can't think of any other cities with so many conveniences. Did I mention that the vending machines sell beer? And that drinking beer from a can or a bottle while walking in public is totally legal? In some major cities in North America you can be arrested for drinking out of a bottle while walking around in public. As long as it's being drank from a cup it's fine.

Another nice thing is all the nightly entertainment. The bottom picture displays a ferris wheel spinning next to a roller coaster.

The building off to the left is call World Porters which is famous for having a large variety of stores selling just about anything from all over the world. I especially like this place because of its food court and movie theater on the fifth floor.

A perfect blending of Japanese and Western conveniences.

They also have a very small but nicely stocked wine and cheese selection here too. And if you purchase a bottle of wine they'll open it for you and provide you with drinking glass free of charge. They'll even let you drink it right there in the food court.




Comments

  1. I love Minato Mirai. I was there in 2004 and the train station was fairly new. I stayed at the Moon shaped Pan Pacific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's a lovely hotel. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minatomirai is one of my favorite places in Japan. When I lived close to Yokohama, I spent a lot of time there. A great place to spend the day when you want to get away from Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The novelty wears off after several years of living here, but always find that coming back after a long trip how much I really like this city.
    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my best buddies lives in Japan, he lives in Tokyo though, and he too says that the novelty rubs off when you live there. But, I can't see how:) I am dying to go to Japan. It is sooooo up on my list of paces to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marina!

    Thanks for stopping by. You should come experience this Japan fever. It's really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Japan looks like a different world for me. I live where the buildings are no more than 2 floors, colonial and ancient. Japan looks modern with skyscrapers and true city feel to it.

    Basically, I am dying to get there:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Japan is surely on the list of the countrie I would like to visit. And it is good to get information about places other than cities known to everyone already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've not been to minato mirai yet, but loved living in japan. it's been too long since i've been back! i am laughing at the cats on leashes. YES!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts